American apple and apricot cake
This is a new version of cake. It can be served with coffee or as a dessert and is best eaten warm.
What you need:
- 250 gram self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 225 gram caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 150 gram butter (melted)
- 225 gram cooking apples (peeled, cored and thickly sliced)
- 100 gram ready-to-eat dried apricots (snipped into pieces)
- 25 gram flaked almonds
Tin needed: a deep, round, loose-bottomed 20 cm cake tin.
- Lightly grease the cake tin and line the base with a circle of non-stick baking parchment. Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC. Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract and melted butter into a large bowl. Mix well to combine, then beat well for 1 minute. Add the apples and apricots to the bowl and gently mix them in.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, gently level the surface and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 1-1½ hours, until the cake is golden, firm to the touch and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a plate to serve.