Baklava in 6 easy steps
- 2 16-oz. packages phyllo dough
- 2-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup bottled water
1. Make Katar the night before. Combine 2 cups granulated sugar 1 cup water in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir, bring to a boil, and then chill.
2. On a half-sheet cookie pan layer each sheet of phyllo dough one at a time, generously buttering each sheet as you layer. Continue until you have layered and buttered the entire box of phyllo dough.
3. Mix walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour mixture on top of buttered phyllo dough. Spread evenly.
4. Layer the second box of dough atop the nuts, buttering between each sheet. Cut off the extra edges of phyllo dough with a sharp knife, and then cut entire tray into squares, then in half again so you will have triangles. Bake at 350 degrees F or until golden brown. Drizzle Katar syrup over Baklava. Serve.