- 3/4 cup (165 g) raw sugar
- 175 2 ml sunflower oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large carrot (about 140 g), grated
- 100 g raisins
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (55 g) icing sugar (to ice, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 28cm x 18cm slice pan.
2. Use a wooden spoon to mix the sugar, oil and egg in a large bowl, then stir in the carrot, raisins and zest. Sift in flour, soda and spices. Stir to just combine, then pour into the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
3. If making icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and stir with 1-2 teaspoons warm water to form a smooth, soft icing. Drizzle over slice with a teaspoon, then leave to set for 10 minutes. Alternatively, dust with 2 tablespoons sifted icing sugar. Cut into 12 bars.