Coconut macaroon brownies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and cocoa; stir into the egg mixture until well blended.
- Fold in walnuts. Spread half of this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Make the middle layer. In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut, sweetened condensed milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- Carefully layer this over the chocolate layer in the pan. Top with the remaining chocolate batter. Spread to cover evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until top is no longer shiny. Cool in the pan before cutting into bars.