Fried macaroni pockets
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup + ½ cup nestle Cremora
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. mustard
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Combine the milk, 1 cup Nestle Cremora and macaroni in a pot. Place the lid on top and bring to the boil over medium heat.
2. As soon as it reaches the boil reduce the heat to low and allow simmering until the pasta is tender. About 10 to 15 minutes keeping the lid on to retain moisture.
3. Once the pasta is soft and has absorbed the milk mixture season with salt, mustard, smoked paprika and pepper.
4. Turn the heat off and stir in the cheddar cheese.
5. Pour macaroni into a casserole dish and top with the 1 cup of cheddar.
6. Bake in the oven at 175C for about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut macaroni into squares or triangles. Cover and place in the freezer for about 8 hours or overnight. You can also try cut into squares or triangles once semi-frozen.
8. Heat the oil in a fryer to 170C
9. In the meantime get three separate bowls. In first bowl combine together flour, ½ cup Nestle Cremora, cayenne pepper and salt. Second with egg and last with breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper.
10. Remove macaroni squares from the freezer and first coat in flour then egg the breadcrumbs. Work quickly to ensure bars do not break.
11. Cook the shapes in the preheated for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.