Frosted lemon cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/5 cups all-purpose flour / plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (frosting)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar / icing sugar (frosting)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (frosting)
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (frosting)
- yellow food coloring (optional) (frosting)
- sprinkles (optional) (frosting)
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and light in color. Add in egg and lemon extract, beat until combined.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk until all combined. Dough will be soft.
3. Divide dough in two, wrap each section of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.When ready to roll out dough, place chilled dough on a well floured surface.
4. Using a flour dusted rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes, just until cookies are firm. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.
5. Cream butter in a mixing bowl, slowly add sugar until all blended. Add in lemon extract and food coloring. beat to blend. Add in cream, one tablespoon at a time, until desired spreading consistancy is reached. You want a soft frosting.Frost cookies and add sprinkles if desired. Let cookies dry until frosting is set and cookies are stackable. Store in an airtight container.