Mud hen bars
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar / caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour / plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together the granulated sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks (put aside the whites for later).
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and mix well. Spread into 9 x 13″ pan. Sprinkle with marshmallows and chocolate chips. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in the brown sugar.
3. Spread the meringue mixture over the marshmallows and chocolate chips. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until bars are a deep golden brown and the crust is cooked through. You may have to cook them a bit longer than 30 minutes to get the bottom crust completely cooked through. Cool in pan and cut. If the meringues starts to browns to quickly cover lightly with a piece of foil sprayed with baking spray.