No-bake snack bars with cheerios
- 1/4 cup creamy unsalted butter (half of one stick)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- about 1/2 cup chocolate-covered sunflower seeds, optional
- pinch sea salt or Kosher salt for sprinkling, optional
1. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang, spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, honey, brown sugar, and heat on high power for 1 minute to melt. Stop to stir. Mixture will be on the granular side, this is okay.
3. Return bowl to microwave and heat for 1 more minute on high power. Stop to stir. Return bowl to microwave and heat for 1 more minute on high power. Stop to stir.
4. On this third and final burst, mixture will become quite bubbly and foamy. Use caution when removing from micro because this is boiling hot caramel and can cause burns.
5. Stir in the vanilla using caution because mixture could bubble up. Stir in the cereal. Stir in the optional raisins (or nuts).
6. Turn mixture out into prepared pan, packing it down firmly with a spatula and smoothing the top. Optionally, sprinkle evenly with sunflower seeds and salt (the salt cuts some of the sweetness.
7. Cover pan with a sheet of foil (to prevent fridge smells), and place pan in fridge to set up for at least 2 to 3 hours, or overnight, or until bars are completely set before lifting out with foil overhang, slicing, and serving.