Perfect rice krispie treats
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 9 cups + 3 1/2 cups marshmallows, divided (you’ll need two 16 oz bags)
- 8 1/2 cups Rice Krispie Cereal / Rice Bubbles
1. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil and spray well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. (For ease, you can measure out all ingredients first before beginning.)
2. In a large pot, melt butter on medium-low heat.
3. Add marshmallows and heat, stirring frequently, until almost all the way melted but not quite. Take mixture off heat and stir in cereal until coated.
4. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups marshmallows, folding very quickly so the marshmallows don’t melt. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down evenly. (I use the back of a rubber spatula or a piece of aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray.) Press mixture down firm enough that the bars will hold together but not too firm or they will be too solid when they come to room temperature.
5. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting into squares. Perfect Rice Krispie Treats will stay soft and fresh for 6-7 days or longer stored covered or in an airtight container.