Pink ribbon cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour / plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar / icing sugar (icing)
- 1/3 cup milk or water (icing)
- red food coloring, optional (icing)
- ribbon cookie cutters (icing)
1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. 3-4 minutes.
2. One at a time, beat in eggs (waiting for the first to be incorporated before adding the second), then mix in vanilla extract.
3. Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide dough into two equal parts and roll into discs.
4. Wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 177 degrees C / Gas 4 Moderate.
5. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Turn out each disc of dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness.
6. Use desired cookie cutters to cut out cookies, then transfer them to lined baking sheets. Place baking sheets in oven.
7. Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until edges are just lightly browned. Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely.
8. To make the icing. Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until totally smooth. Mix in food coloring, if using. (Add more sugar for a thicker glaze and more milk for a thinner one.) Use a spoon or piping bag to ice cookies, then let rest until icing sets.