Red velvet sugar cookie bars
- 3⅓ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup unsweet¬ened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bak¬ing pow¬der
- 1 cup but¬ter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (one 1-ounce bottle) red food coloring
- 2 x 8 oz cream cheese, softened (frosting)
- ½ cup butter, softened (frosting)
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar / icing sugar (frosting)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (frosting)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 9 x 13 inch pan ready.
2. Line with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray so that the bars easily lift out and are easy to cut.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup butter softened and sugar until light and creamy. About 2-3 minutes.
4. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until combined. Add the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the 9 x 13 inch pan.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges start to pull away frTING/on the sides and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
6. To make the cream cheese frosting. Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat together until smooth. Frost the top of the bars.