Soft sugar cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- food coloring and sprinkles
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in egg yolk and extracts.
3. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
6. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
7. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes
8. Frosting: in a bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined.
9. Beat on high for 4 minutes or until soft peaks form. Frost cooled cookies.