Whipped shortbread cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar or 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup red maraschino cherry
- 1/4 cup green maraschino cherry
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, combine butter, flour, icing sugar and vanilla extract; mix until mixture is a smooth consistency.
2. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spoon out dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets by teaspoonfuls or by tablespoons for larger cookies, spacing about 2 inches apart.
3. Cut maraschino cherries into quarters and place one piece in the middle of each cookie, alternating with red and green cherries.
4. Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until bottom of cookies are lightly browned, do not overbake.
5. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes. Transfer onto wire racks to finish cooling. Store in a container with a lid and separate each layer with wax paper. If you wish to add some flavor to the cookies, add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or almond extract. Use sprinkles, half an almond or half a cashew or chocolate to the top of the cookies before baking. A thumbprint in the cookie, filled with your choice of jam is very tasty. It has been suggested that the cookies be refrigerated for at least 1/2 hour before baking for a different texture.